Barbecued squid with red
pepper and herbs
cleaned prepared fresh squid with its tentacles will serve two, or more if itís to be a starter rather than a main
- A cleaned whole fresh squid with tentacles 500g
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A few tablespoons of olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- A red pepper, thinly sliced. This can be a sweet pepper or a chilli pepper
or both, depending on your taste
- Couple of tablespoons of chopped coriander, thyme, basil or parsley, not
too finely chopped
- A few spring onions thinly sliced, including
some of the green part
Mix everything except
the squid to make a marinade.
Rinse the squid. Put
the tentacles into the marinade. Cut open the tubular body so that itís flat,
then score it lightly, donít cut right through. A crisscross pattern looks good
when itís cooked.
Put the pieces into the
marinade with the tentacles. Cover and leave for at least an hour or
When the barbecue is
ready, cook the squid for 2-3 minutes on each side until opaque and just
cooked. Serve at once with any left-over
marinade poured over. Donít cook for too
long as squid is tough when over- cooked.
If itís raining, cooked
the squid on the stove on a griddle or under the grill. The squid can also be cut up into small
pieces and served as a starter, hot or warm.